Christmas is here!
This Christmas, Malketha Maternal Services is partnering with LifeNet International to support a number of LifeNet’s Health centers in a 2-months campaign to bring light, and love, to their Maternity and children’s wards! The Campaign, named “Lighting up Christmas” has a goal of donating 50 rechargeable lamps to almost a dozen facilities in 5 districts across the country.
LifeNet International Uganda partners with 92 church-based health centers across Uganda to address the health needs of their communities. Health centers without basic medical equipment can not offer patients the services they needed.
One of the projects implemented by LifeNet is Family Planning, and the medical curriculum includes modules on maternity and child health, which are delivered to health center staff through nurse trainers. A particular challenge mentioned by community health workers is that they use their phones to provide light when carrying out various procedures in the maternity department, which also lacks sufficient equipment. Many of these health centers rely on solar energy as a source of electricity. Malketha will donate re-chargeable lamps as a way to contribute to the improved quality of maternal services provided at the health centers. The health centers include;
· Bukwiri HC II (Kyankwanzi)
· Muguluka HC II (Jinja)
· Nawampanda HC II (Jinja)
· Bwindhabwangu HC II (Jinja)
· Buwaaya HC II (Mayuge)
· Kyando HC II (Mayuge)
· Kyanamugera HC II(Mityana)
· Nabwendo HC III (Kiboga)
· AMC HC III (Kampala)
· Lulagala HC II (Mityana)
· Bugema HC III (Luweero)
For every donation of 20,000 you contribute, one re-chargeable lamp will be purchased to ensure that even if a health center encounters power cuts, no mother will have to give birth in the dark and no health worker will be forced to hold a phone-torch as a source of light to be able to carry out their jobs.
How to participate:
1. Record a 1-minute phone video of yourself singing your favorite Christmas carol or seasonal chorus of your choice
2. Include a message on what motherhood looks like to you during the holiday season mothers
3. Post on social media and nominate a friend to participate and to raise awareness about maternal health and mental health.
4. Send the recording via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tag our social media pages on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook (@MalkethaMS) in your posts.
5. Send your Ugx20,000 via mobile money to +256775855266 with reason as : "Lighting up!"
This campaign will run from December 2020 to January 31st 2021 and all proceeds from this campaign will go towards purchasing and equipping these health centers with rechargeable lamps.
For more information about the campaign, email us on email@example.com, call us on +256775855266 or follow us on our social media platforms (Malketha Maternal Services).